Sunday, November 11, 2012

Embellished Burp Cloths





One thing that we don't have many of yet is burp cloths.  Spit up and I don't really get along too well.  In fact, burping is one thing that I really don't have down...ask any of my friends with babies.  Once the baby needs burped or spits up, I give that baby back to its mom or dad!  Of course, when Abby is born I'll be her mom and will need to get the hang of burping and not gagging whenever she spits up.  I've heard from friends that plain old cloth diapers work great as absorbent burp cloths.  I wanted to make them a little prettier, since if I'm going to be getting spit up on I at least want to use a cute burp rag!  I picked up a pack of plain Gerber pre-fold cloth diapers and embellished the center panel with fabric scraps leftover from Abby's baby quilt and other old sewing projects.  I basically followed this tutorial: http://chickpeastudio.typepad.com/chickpea_sewing_studio/diaper-burp-cloth-tutoria.html

As with all of my sewing projects, these burp cloths are far from perfect!  The great thing about this project is that they don't have to be anywhere near perfect because a) no one will notice, and b) they're going to be used to clean up drool and spit up anyway!  I think they're adorable and love how they turned out.  I used a zigzag stitch on some of the panels and a straight stitch on others.  The zigzag worked more effectively to catch all the edges of the panel, but I have very limited experience with that stitch and using it definitely had a learning curve!  I used a straight stitch on some of them simply to speed things along, but I prefer the look of the zigzag stitch.  I think a big stack of these would make a great baby shower gift!

No comments:

Post a Comment