Tuesday, July 23, 2013

6 Months Old!



I'm a few days late, but Abigail is 6 months old!  Time has been flying lately.  At Abby's 6 month check-up she weighed 16 pounds 8 ounces and was 25 and 1/4 inches long.  Still short and chunky!  (Wonder where she gets that from?!)  We started feeding Abby solids last week, and so far she is doing pretty well.  Her pediatrician said we should quickly work up to three solid feedings a day, so that is what we are aiming for.  At the moment, Abby has only had oatmeal baby cereal and sweet potato puree to eat.  Some meals she seems to love eating solids and then others she doesn't have much interest.  I'm excited to keep offering her food and let her try a variety of different foods!  I've been using the Baby Bullet we received at one of our baby showers to make lots of homemade baby food for Abby, so the freezer is well stocked with sweet potato puree, pea puree, and homemade applesauce that should get us through the next few weeks.  It's been fun making her food and doesn't take much time at all.  Dave and I plan to continue with purees, but also let Abby have some small pieces of table food when we think she's ready so that she can get used to all different textures.  Of course I am still nursing as well, and I have to admit that I'm very proud to have been able to breastfeed for so long!  6 months down, 6 months to go until I reach my goal of nursing for one year.  After that we plan to try to have another baby, so we will probably work on weaning.  I remember reading somewhere once that nursing while pregnant can be incredibly difficult because you are essentially trying to sustain three separate lives (your own, the nursing child, and the unborn baby).  Considering that the beginning of my pregnancy with Abby was difficult, I don't think that continuing to nurse would be very good for me personally.  This is TMI, but I originally started this blog as a way to share our conception journey, so I think that this piece of info is applicable because we do plan to have another child soon: my monthly cycle has returned!  Oddly enough, it came back exactly on Abby's 6 month birthday.  Not many women would be happy to have their cycle return, especially while nursing, but I am thrilled.  It's just one step on the way to conceiving our next child, and my ultimate hope is that we won't need to use fertility assistance this time around!

Abby is still such a wonderful baby and I am honestly thankful everyday that I get to stay home with our little girl.  She's sweet and cuddly and silly and I just love her so much.  She's been doing great sleeping again lately, and will usually sleep from about 6:30pm to between 5:30-6:30am straight.  If she wakes up on the early side, she will most likely nurse and go back down again for a bit.  We still don't have a nap schedule in place.  Some days I am lucky to get two 45 minute naps out of the girl the whole day...which isn't great.  But she sleeps so well at night that I really can't complain.  She's still not sitting on her own, so we are really working on that.  Abby still loves her baths (unless she is super tired) and she loves getting a bottle of pumped milk before bed.  She sleeps with a little blanky that I sewed for her and it's so cute putting her to bed because she takes the blanky in her hands, sucks on her thumb, rolls over onto her side, and goes to sleep.  Still no teeth and I doubt that she'll have any for a while yet.  She really enjoys riding on my back in my Boba 3g carrier, and that's how I have been grocery shopping and getting housework done lately, which has been wonderful.  She is quite content to just hang out on my back and look around.  It's definitely easier wearing her on my back than on my front!  Especially now that she is almost 17 pounds!!  I think that's about it for updates right now, here are some recent pictures of our sweet girl...












No comments:

Post a Comment