Wednesday, September 19, 2012

5 Years

5 years ago today, I went on a blind date with a guy from Match.com.  I honestly didn't really have high hopes for the date.  Not that he didn't seem nice from the phone conversation we'd had, but I'd gone on a few dates with another guy from Match and they didn't really meet my expectations.  Little did I know that my life would be changed forever after one blind date :)  I'd never had a lot of luck with relationships.  I either ended up falling for guys who only saw me as a friend, or ones who treated me like total dirt.  I had some pretty strict internet dating rules at the time - one email back and forth, one phone call, then a date for a drink on a week night only, AFTER 7pm...basically, I didn't want to waste my time!  Dave and I agreed to meet at Old Chicago on a Wednesday evening for a drink.  I got there first and waited for him, and then some time passed and he was LATE!  Tardiness is a huge pet peeve of mine, so I texted my sister and asked how much longer I should wait.  In the meantime, there was a guy sitting by himself at another table...he didn't look like the pictures of Dave from Match, but sometimes people misrepresent themselves on dating websites, so I was skeptical.  I had the waitress go ask the other guy if he was meeting a blind date, and thankfully he wasn't!  Finally, Dave walked in and saw me immediately.  He came over with a story about how he cut his hand after he dropped his phone in the car trying to call me!  There was some major construction and he had to take a detour to get to the restaurant, which is why he was late.  He even excused himself to go get a band-aid from the car!  At this point, I knew I liked him already :)   We ordered drinks and started talking right away.  I had a friend on stand-by who called me a little while into the date in case I needed an out, but thankfully I didn't!  From the get-go, Dave and I had so much in common.  We talked and talked over drinks at the restaurant, and when we both realized that neither of us wanted the date to end, we shared a bottle of wine back at my apartment.  We've been together from that day on, and the rest, as they say, is history!  It's been such an amazing five years, and the craziest part of all is that it doesn't feel like it's already been 5 years!  He's my best friend and an amazing husband, and I honestly just can't wait for us to begin our new adventure as parents together.  I know it won't always be easy, but with him by my side all just feels right with the world.  Tonight we're going to recreate our very first date!  Here are some photos from over the years to wrap up my super cheesy post :)











No comments:

Post a Comment