Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Ahh, Freak Out!

Baby gave us a little scare today! We just announced our news on Facebook last night, and I was feeling so great about all the FB love. Then, last night while I was watching tv in bed, I had a sudden sharp pain on my left side, where my ovarian cyst is. The pain was enough to make me sit up and say "ouch" out loud. I didn't think too much of it because I've had a few pains like that before, so I changed positions and eventually fell asleep. This morning when I woke up, I had a bit of spotting. I haven't bled or spotted at all with this pregnancy yet, and seeing that pink was very alarming! I went downstairs and told Dave right away, and we talked about if I should call the doctor or wait and see what happens. I emailed my boss and let her know that I was going to take the day off to rest, since I'd been doing a lot of extra projects around their house and had been on my feet all day for the last couple days without many breaks. After texting my sister I decided that calling my OB when the office opened couldn't hurt, so I called. The nurse I spoke with was concerned about the sharp pain I had experienced, and wanted us to come in for an ultrasound just to make sure that everything was ok. Dave met me at the OB's office and we went in to the ultrasound room. The tech wanted to do an internal ultrasound just so she could very clearly see if there was any reason for my bleeding. Right away she showed us the baby! S/he looked perfect, and it was crazy to see how different it looked from just last week. It was moving and wiggling around all over the place, but she got some awesome pictures and even printed out a few for us, which was really nice because from what I've read, at most emergency ultrasounds they don't give you pictures. After examining the baby for a bit, she checked both of my ovaries and measured both cysts. She also made sure that there was still blood flowing to both ovaries, because sometimes large cysts can twist the ovary and eventually cut off blood supply. When that happens, loss of the ovary is usually inevitable. I would really hate to lose an ovary since we would love to have another child and it took us so long to conceive this one! The cyst on the left actually seems to have grown a little from last week. We're still just holding out hope that it will go away on it's own once the placenta takes over around 12 weeks. The tech then went back to the baby to take even more pictures and measurements, plus we got to hear the heartbeat again. The heart rate was a strong 178 beats per minute! Long story short, the tech couldn't really find a reason for my bleeding. I haven't had any spotting or cramping since my appointment and I feel fine, so that's good. She just advised me to take it easy and to take more breaks at work when I'm on my feet for extended periods of time. We decided not to try to get in to see a doctor, because it would have been quite a wait and there's not much that the doctor would have said that the ultrasound tech hadn't already shown us. She instructed us to call back immediately if I have any more cramping or spotting, or to head to the emergency room if the spotting turns to bleeding. So far, none of those things have happened! Here are the cute pictures we got of our little gummy bear at 9 weeks 5 days:

Overall, it was a happy end to a little scare that had us both very worried! Thank goodness that so far, things seem fine. Fingers crossed that everything continues to progress smoothly!

No comments:

Post a Comment