Friday, June 22, 2012

Ode to Morning Sickness

When we were struggling to get pregnant, I swore to myself that I would relish any and all pregnancy symptoms no matter what. I lied!! I liken it to when I think to myself that I'll never let my kids do (fill in the blank), because I'm sure in a few years I'll take my declaration back. For some reason I never really thought I would get morning sickness. My mom and sister never really had it, and I'm not sure if it would matter, but my mother-in-law didn't have it at all either. I haven't been so lucky though. I've puked more in the last 5 weeks than I have in my entire life. I've puked on a boat (in a Slurpee cup!), in a parking lot, at work, at Red Robin, and at my in-laws house, just to name a few places. There are days when I feel like all I do is eat in hopes that it will help the nausea, and then I just end up spending even more time in the bathroom or fighting with myself to keep food down. My OB recommended these to me:
They're lozenges with Vitamin B6 that supposedly help soothe morning sickness. Honestly, when I use them I don't notice an immediate difference, but throughout the day they do seem to help keep the nausea at bay. They kind of taste like a sour apple Jolly Rancher mixed with a little bit of black licorice. Odd, but not terrible. The bad news is that you can only have one every 8 hours and must not exceed three in 24 hours. I think that sometimes just sucking on something helps, so maybe I should just get some actual Jolly Ranchers! The strangest thing of all though is that I'll have a few rough days in a row, and then all of a sudden I'll wake up and feel great. I'll have a few days with absolutely no morning sickness, then the pattern will repeat itself. I'm sincerely hoping that the nausea will go away in the next few weeks...although I'm down 8 pounds since finding out I was pregnant and I can't say that's a bad side effect at all! Hopefully I can keep a better eye on what I'm putting in my mouth to keep my weight gain at the correct amount that is necessary for my size!

No comments:

Post a Comment